He who made you is able to complete all that concerns you – our journey with dyslexia part 3 – Alignment, Dial setting and Co-ordination



I will start by saying when I read through all the information and instructions for alignment, dial setting and co-ordination, by the time I was finished and started on the symbol mastery part, I had forgotten a few key elements, for instance the amount of time that should be spent on this. Even though I highlighted the part that speaks about thirty hours of intense work, I clean forgot about it by the time I had my head wrapped around the various exercises J
Thus said we went about it as follows for two months;
I’d let Samuel sit on a chair across from me and do a relaxing exercise with him first. I’d tell him to sit in a comfortable position with both his hands and feet relaxed. Then I guided him step by step to relax his entire body. We started with the forehead, I’d tell him in the same tone of voice and speaking method as discussed in part 2, to relax his forehead, relax his eye brows, relax his eye lids, relax his eyeballs, relax his nose and so on all the way to his toes. At the first sign of tension returning Id start two steps back. (This method of relaxing was taught to us by prophet Nola Pelser from Harvester International Ministries to help us come to a place of calm and quiet so we can meditate on the Lord and hear and see what He wants to reveal to us.)
Then once he was completely relaxed I would say; “breath in deep through your nose and out slowly through your mouth”. We would do this twice.
As we teach our children to live as Jesus did and according to what He taught, I remind him all the time that without Him we can do nothing. So to establish this in his thinking again, instead of us doing the imaginary you exercise, I would encourage him to become aware of the Holy Spirit’s presence. I would just gently in conversation style remind him of scriptures by saying things like; “The Holy Spirit is your Helper, He comes along side you and carries the exact same weight and burden you do and He helps you move it out the way. He is your comforter and knows and understands what frustrates you. We can do nothing without Him. He is our friend that sticks closer than a brother. He leads you and guides you into the truth, He shows you things to come. He reminds you of what Jesus says about you and what Jesus thinks towards you. He never leaves you nor forsakes you. He is your constant companion. Can you hear His voice behind you telling you what to do and where to go?” In this way he would respond and say that he can now sense the Holy Spirit. I would ask what he senses, and he would say things like; “I feel comforted”; or “I feel peaceful” or “I can feel someone is with me and strengthens me”. Then from here I will tell him to open his eyes. I took my time at this. Some days he would go through the “steps” smoothly and efficiently and other days we would stumble and struggle ahead. I always encourage him to thank the Holy Spirit for being with him and for helping him and to commit himself and his ways to the Lord. For me it is very, very important that my children all know Who they need to depend on, from Whom their help comes and that we cannot help our-selves, we need Jesus, not just in the hard things but especially in that which comes so easy to us.
Now we would proceed to the hold and release exercise. This we did wrong too J I interpreted what I read wrong so I would tell him that when he says “release” he has to let the first fall on his lap. Ai ai ai J We did get the dial setting and ball activities right though. I use bean bags instead of balls, it was the best thing I have available instead of spending money on buying new supplies. So after the relaxation and release we would stand up, move a small distance apart and then ask him if he was still aware of the Holy Spirits’ help and if he said yes we would commence balancing on one leg, then once he had his balance I told him to close his eyes, he would wobble a bit but find his balance again and once he did I would allow him to open his eyes again. We did this on both sides. After that we moved on to balancing on one leg again and now I’d say e.g. “catch with your left hand” and throw the bean bag for him to catch while balancing. We made a whole game out of this, doing cross over and high and low, it really became a fun game to play. Then we would set our dial to a reasonable “speed” and sit down to commence building our crazy clay alphabet letters. We did a couple at a time, not the whole alphabet in one go and we did start with the capital letters first as indicated in the book. We color coded them, blue was our capitals and yellow our lower case letters. And I took this at his pace, so we finished the alphabet both lower and upper case in about a week and then we began mastering the order and recognition of them. It was about two or three weeks on the upper case letters, and then a week or two on the lower case backwards.  After this we’d sit down and take “The Cat in the Hat” and read as far as he could manage using the shift, shift, spell method described in the book and it worked wonderfully. We followed the entire procedure mentioned here every day!
Then we had the March holiday break. In this time I read through the practical application part of the book again just to refresh my memory and see how we move on from here. It was then that I discovered I was not going about it all too correctly.  I do however believe the Lords hand was in my ‘mistake’ as He knows my child better than I ever could and He knows what he needs when he needs it. So I do not count my ‘mistake’ as a huge error that crippled us or prolonged our road to success, to the contrary it actually helped me to see and hear clearly that I need to adapt and use the Davis method to my sons’ individual and unique needs.
On p 139 there is a nice step by step break down of the order of doing things and after reading this and once again going through the sections we have established our son needs to work through I noticed the 30h week we were supposed to do.
Now it was the beginning of a new term and I was determined to get it right this time round. J We started with the alignment procedure again, now that he already knew Who is really helping him I just followed the steps set out in the book of feeling the insides of the fingers etc. and then breathing in deep and letting out through the mouth releasing through the fingers and toes. Then we did the imaginary-self section successfully followed by the right way of doing the fist and release exercise. We then revised our alphabet from A to Z and back again as well as random pointing or saying. Then we commenced to reading the last few pages of “The cat in the hat”. This was day one.


On day two we did release, alphabet revision and then three new words from the trip list in the book and he had to build them using the method of mastery described in the book. 



Day three he did release on his own and thereafter worked with is math tutor.
By day four I asked the Lord again for guidance as to what best applies and works for our son as I found we built and memorized the definitions of the symbols for language, but it was frustrating him and just going through the trip list was also something he was not enjoying. 

It was then that the Holy Spirit reminded me of the teaching by apostle Andre to use what you have, and the miracle is in the house.(Teachings on these can be found as the offering message this past Sunday 13 April 2-14 on Live Stream under Harvester Church as well as in the documents section on www.harvesterchurch.net)
With his consent we went back to the Learning Language Arts Through Literature Blue Book (equivalent to gr.1). By combining the Davis method with the Llatl learning method and help and guidance by the Holy Spirit believing that He is and He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him, we covered three beginner readers, nailed 12 trip sight words and completed two spelling “tests”! He was not aware that I was “testing” using the Davis method. So I would look at lesson one in the Blue Book and let him find the blue consonant letter cards and the pink vowel cards, place them in the order I read out and then build and write in his book the words I read to him. I packed out the yellow sight words or trip words as they can’t all be spelled and sound like they make any sense or there is no picture to go with them, so we looked up the meaning in the dictionary. If he could make up three sentences using these word in the right context we would consider them conquered, if not we would build them in clay and make sure they were established. We are just going from strength to strength daily by the grace of God. And I still combine the two methods as I find they dove tail wonderfully, one completing the other.



 In the above exercise I gace him the sentenses all jumbled up, the read one and he had to find it and place it in its proper place. He did this smoothly.

 I make reading cards from every booklet so that after my children have mastered reading int eh story book with its illustrations, I jumble up the order of the hand written ones and then they have to read it. In this way we are both asured that they are not reading from memory triggered by the picture, but they are actually reading.

At the end of day five he could write the sentenses acompanying the pictures off by heart without making any mistakes! Praise You Jesus!



I encourage you as parents to get the books The Gift of Dyslexia and The Gift of Learning and gain knowledge and understanding on how to better help our children, but always remember to acknowledge God in it so we apply what our children need in the way that best suits them at the right time. These together with the wisdom of better late than early where we are reminded that especially boys learn formal reading, writing and math and most to almost all forms of formal school work only really from or after the ages of nine to twelve, together with patience, we can overcome any learnign obstacle. The Lord is all knowing and He says in Psa 139:13  For You have possessed my inward parts; You have covered me in my mother's womb. Psa 139:14  I will praise You; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are marvelous and my soul knows it very well.
Psa 139:15  My bones were not hidden from You when I was made in secret and skillfully formed in the lowest parts of the earth. Psa 139:16  Your eyes saw my embryo; and in Your book all my members were written, the days they were formed, and not one was among them.
Psa 139:17  How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!
Psa 139:18  If I should count them, they are more than the sand; when I awake, I am still with You.

The Lords thoughts are higher than ours, and the thoughts He thinks toward us are far more than we can ever think and He only thinks good thoughts toward us as He says in Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. With this we know for certain that because God has already set up our future for us, we have hope, because He knows the end from the beginning. And as the Psalm says because He bought us with a price and we are now twice His and He has as grafted in the palm of His hand, no matter what we do we will always remain with Him, we cannot run away or try and escape His hand and no one can rip us from His hand, therefore time and time again we will find we are still with Him. So let’s dig in our heels and persevere, and never stop relying on and asking the One who knows more and better than any person we may meet and any book we may read. God will never fail us He will accomplish in us and though us and our children that which He set out to do from the moment He planned us, and He will complete the good work which He started. Remember we are in the everlasting arms of an eternal, almighty, never failing, faultless, guiltless God and Father and Savior, all we have to do is let go and only obey and do what and as He shows us in His word to do, Amen.
(c) Celeste Glass

Popular posts from this blog

Being part of something bigger than yourself, something eternal………….

Help God with His dream and He will make all your dreams come true beyond your greatest dreams or expectations.

Through Faith and Patience

False images of God = False images of self = False images of others

Peacefully blessed weekend away

The story of a girl and a horse

Run, with the medal already in your pocket

Come to the Good News!!!!!

He who made you is able to complete all that concerns you – our journey with dyslexia part 1 - Discovering help