Point of departure

“The core of your being is the point of departure of everything you say or do” Apostle Dr. Andre Pelser January 2010

Not too long ago the Lord ministered to us as a church regarding offences. It was interesting to note that one of the apostles from our network ministered on this in December 2014 and the Lord felt it necessary and deemed it important to repeat once again now in April of this year, both at the Sunday service as well as at the opening meeting of our Summit. One phrase in particular stood out for me more than anything else – “Vain Imaginations”.

Have you ever found or caught yourself out having an argument or debate or heated discussion with someone in your mind, and it is so clear and so real you see it like a movie and feel it as if you were actually there? Well maybe it’s just me… I’ll be cooking a meal for my family and suddenly catch myself that for a couple of minutes I wasn’t even there, present at the stove, I was somewhere else in an argument of some sort in my head! That is a vain imagination. My emotions were involved, my thinking was involved and sometimes I am actually exhausted after that. So when apostle Andre ministered on offence, that phrase stood out clear as day itself and I knew this was one more key with which to shut and lock a door that the enemy of our soul uses to bring strife and division into our marriages, families and churches. I started meditating on it and also became more aware of how often I “zone out” and argue in my head. I also realised how I almost never take those arguments captive! And so the Holy Spirit has been taking me on a journey of discovery so that I may no longer be outsmarted and tripped up, so that I can walk in victory and draw nearer the truth of my salvation and begin to see and unlock who Christ is within me. I would like to share this, if you don’t mind J

2 Corinthians 10v4 to 6 – For the weapons of our warfare are not physical, weapons of flesh and blood, but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds. Inasmuch as we refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the true knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ the Messiah, the Anointed One. Being in readiness to punish every insubordinate for his disobedience when your own submission and obedience as a church are fully secure and complete.


Now what do the above mentioned scripture verse from the Amplified version of the Bible and the opening statement have to do with one another you may ask. It is simple really, the very way I see myself, and the very things I believe about myself will be the way in which I hear others speak to me or of me, will be the way in which I read the body language or behaviour of those around me and it will either keep me believing the lies the enemy whispers in my ear or strengthen my discernment to distinguish the lie from the truth and to refute that lie, or entertain it. This was more firmly established after a good coaching session with one of my spiritual mentors whom I love and respect very much.
Apostle Michael Wood from Australia once said; “Ihe image I have of myself will be the image I have of God, so if I have a false image of myself I will have a false image of God”. So what I believe about myself is the way in which I will interpret what others say or do, and in this way I will either, take offence or turn to God and gain perspective, not take the offence and continue to walk in love and acceptance of others and myself.
This is why it is so vitally important, and when I say vitally important I mean as from the view of life and death important, that we believe the Word of God. We have to! Our very lives and the growth and healing and lives of those around us depend on it. When I believe what the Word of God says about me, and how it describes Gods response to me in a number of scenarios, to name one – 1 John 1v9 = If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. So when I am convicted by the Holy Spirit about something I had done wrong and I sincerely repent and ask the Lord to change me in that area, then it means I am forgiven. Also Psalm 103v2 to 14 speaks of Him not remembering it any longer and not holding it against us.
Bless Jehovah, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits;  who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases; who redeems your life from ruin; who crowns you with loving-kindness and tender mercies; who satisfies your mouth with good; your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Jehovah works righteousness and judgment for all who are pressed down.
He made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the sons of Israel. Jehovah is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and rich in mercy. He will not always chasten, nor will He keep His anger forever. He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heavens are high above the earth, so is His mercy toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.
As a father pities his children, Jehovah pities those who fear Him. For He knows our form; He remembers that we are dust.
In 2 Corinthians 5v17 – Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new. So every time I repent of sin and wrong doing, Christ cleanses me, and wipes out the memory of that transgression and creates me new in that area, changes me in that area to be more Christ-like. But for any of this to have effect in my life, I first have to believe it and then I also need to call the old obsolete – Philippians 3v8  But no, rather, I also count all things to be loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them to be dung, so that I may win Christ
This means we count as loss, as rubbish, all our past, the accomplishments as well as the failures, the sins, the mistakes so that we can move on in Christ. It means we take those thoughts, arguments and offences and we lead them captive to the obedience of Christ. We take them to Him and He makes them His footstool. We do not entertain them and allow them to become strongholds in our lives but cast them down so that we can be continually conformed to the image of Christ; and so that we can continually be perfected; and so that we can continually grow from glory to glory and from grace to grace and faith to faith and strength to strength. Call the old obsolete. If I hold on to my faults and failures, I begin to interpret what other people say from that place, so my hearing is actually affected. What they are saying and what I am hearing are often not entirely the same thing. Then there is the other angle, what they are speaking is a lie, but because I still believe in my past mistakes and failures I receive it as truth because I cannot see the change the Lord has wrought in my life, so in truth I am slapping God in the face saying I am still this miserable creature from five years ago instead of seeing this royal princess in royal garments sitting on a royal throne that He has turned me into.
What does all this have to do with offences and arguments in my head? Well, if I still believe in the old me, then I am more susceptible to argue in my own defense in my head and never winning, only living at a greater loss every time I re argue the same argument. The more I argue it the more I believe it and the more I become it again and in a way make void the work Jesus did in my life. I place myself willingly in a stronghold of a false image, I can call it idolatry, but that is another topic. Because I hold on to who I was, I no longer have a sane estimation of who I am, so when I am in the company of people I take offence at what is said even if they have my benefit at heart, I can’t receive the help and the guidance and the exposing of a lie because I have so totally given myself to a lie already, the lie that I am still that old creature even though Christ has already washed me in His precious blood. So now I take offence and make room for more lies and the cycle just increases and I just wrap myself tighter and tighter in the chains of death – death to being who Christ made me to be instead of alive to who Christ made me to be.
I don’t want to be dead to Christ, I want to be dead to the world and alive in and to Christ. I want to continually reform in my behavior in my thinking in my speaking. I do want to grow from holiness to holiness.
So what I am trying to say is this; my point of departure is either from the truth of Christ in me and me in Him or the lie of who I was. From this point I hear, I see, I perceive and I believe what I think God thinks of me as well as what I think others think of me. So I ask myself this; 
“Who do I believe?” “What do I believe?”

What is my point of departure?
(c) Celeste Glass

Popular posts from this blog

Being part of something bigger than yourself, something eternal………….

Help God with His dream and He will make all your dreams come true beyond your greatest dreams or expectations.

Through Faith and Patience

False images of God = False images of self = False images of others

Peacefully blessed weekend away

The story of a girl and a horse

Run, with the medal already in your pocket

Come to the Good News!!!!!

He who made you is able to complete all that concerns you – our journey with dyslexia part 1 - Discovering help